Here are five big stories in the news Monday evening:
Trump Campaign to stop paying Donald Jr.’s legal bills. The Trump campaign is reportedly setting up a legal defense fund to cover legal fees for campaign staffers, including Donald Trump Jr., to cover costs incurred over investigations into the alleged Russian election meddling. Whether contributions into the defense fund will come from the Trump Organization or President Donald Trump personally has not yet been determined.
The Trump campaign’s legal bills have already topped more than $2 million this year, including payments related to the Russia investigations, as well as $287,924 for Trump Jr. Separately, in September, the Republican National Committee paid $166,527 to Alan Futerfas, who represents Trump Jr., according to the party’s latest filing with the Federal Election Commission. CLICK HERE TO READ MORE.
Nebraska gives the green light for Keystone Pipeline to move forward. Monday, Nebraska regulators approved a proposed route for TransCanada Corp’s Keystone XL pipeline to be constructed through their state, removing a huge roadblock in the long-delayed project. TransCanada’s most preferred route was not approved, and the alternative route approved will reportedly add about 5 miles of pipeline, as well as an additional pumping station.
The 3-2 vote by the Nebraska Public Service Commission helps clear the way for the pipeline linking Canada’s Alberta oil sands to refineries in the United States. But opponents have promised to tie the project up in court for years and TransCanada is still studying its commercial viability after a surge in U.S. drilling that has cut crude oil prices roughly in half since the pipeline was first proposed.
The project still faces legal battles, as opponents are vowing to fight. “We are going to fight like hell to make sure this pipeline never gets built,” said Jane Kleeb, the head of anti-pipeline political advocacy group Bold Nebraska. CLICK HERE TO READ MORE.
Department of Justice sues AT&T to stop merger with Time Warner. Monday, the Justice Department slapped down AT&T’s efforts to “create a media Goliath” by filing an antitrust lawsuit to stop their purchase of Time Warner, claiming it would give them too much power over the market.
“This merger would greatly harm American consumers,” said Makan Delrahim, head of the Justice Department’s antitrust division. “It would mean higher monthly television bills and fewer of the new, emerging innovative options that consumers are beginning to enjoy.”
The Justice Department had earlier suggested that the deal might be allowed to proceed if AT&T would sell CNN, but AT&T has refused that offer and is bracing for a court fight, Bloomberg reported. CLICK HERE TO READ MORE.
Update on trial of Kate Steinle’s killer. The trial is underway in San Francisco for Jose Ines Garcia Zarate, an illegal alien from Mexico who shot and killed Kate Steinle in July 2015 as she was walking on the pier with her father, in the “sanctuary city” of San Francisco. Zarate had already been deported from the U.S. five times, and was wanted for a sixth deportation when he shot Steinle.
In his closing argument, a prosecutor said Zarate was “playing his own secret version of Russian roulette.” The defense has repeatedly claimed the shooting was an accident, even saying he “shot a weapon he didn’t know was a firearm.”
Garcia Zarate said he found the stolen gun wrapped in a shirt under a chair on a pedestrian pier and that the weapon accidentally fired when he picked it up. The bullet ricocheted on the pier’s concrete walkway before it struck Steinle. CLICK HERE TO READ MORE.
HOMELAND SECURITY TERMINATES TEMPORARY RESIDENCY PROGRAM FOR 60,000 HAITIANS.
Acting Secretary of Homeland Security Elaine Duke posted a press release on the DHS website Monday, announcing the termination of the Temporary Protected Status for about 60,000 Haitians who came to the U.S. for refuge after the earthquake struck their country. The effective date of the termination is July 22, 2019.
The decision to terminate TPS for Haiti was made after a review of the conditions upon which the country’s original designation were based and whether those extraordinary but temporary conditions prevented Haiti from adequately handling the return of their nationals, as required by statute. Based on all available information, including recommendations received as part of an inter-agency consultation process, Acting Secretary Duke determined that those extraordinary but temporary conditions caused by the 2010 earthquake no longer exist. Thus, under the applicable statute, the current TPS designation must be terminated.
BREAKING: Homeland Security Department terminates temporary residency program for almost 60,000 Haitians.
— The Associated Press (@AP) November 21, 2017