President Trump told reporters on Thursday that he thinks he knows which GOP member may have funded the infamous “Trump dossier” in the first place.

“If I were to guess, I have one name in mind. It will probably be revealed,” the president demurred, saying only that everyone will “be surprised.”

In its bombshell report, The Washington Post wrote that the Clinton campaign and the DNC paid for the now-debunked dossier intended to take down President Trump. But the report also asserted three times that the outrageous information started out as opposition research funded by an unnamed Republican donor.

Try as they might, no media outlet has been able to confirm the identity of the supposed donor, or if such a person even exists.

The Washington Post report focuses on funding from the Hillary Clinton campaign and the Democratic National Committee for the dossier, which was not previously known. Information in the article is attributed anonymously to “people familiar with the matter” and nothing more.

The first mention of the GOP donor appears in the third paragraph of the piece: Clinton and DNC lawyer Marc E. Elias “and his law firm, Perkins Coie, retained [Democratic research firm Fusion GPS] in April 2016 on behalf of the Clinton campaign and the DNC,” the story says. “Before that agreement, Fusion GPS’s research into Trump was funded by an unknown Republican client during the GOP primary.”

Elsewhere in the story, the alleged anonymous donor is referenced again as someone who paid Fusion GPS “to investigate the real estate magnate’s background” during the Republican primaries.

A third reference to the alleged donor said that once he stopped paying for the research, “Elias, acting on behalf of the Clinton campaign and the DNC, agreed to pay for the work to continue,” which resulted in the Trump dossier.

Reports that there is an anonymous donor have never been confirmed, but Democrats and liberal news outlets are clinging to the belief that the dossier was originally a Republican project.

Trump said Wednesday on Twitter: “Clinton campaign & DNC paid for research that led to the anti-Trump Fake News Dossier. The victim here is the President.”

Brian Fallon, a CNN political commentator and former spokesman for Clinton, tweeted, “Some of the Republicans pouncing on dossier story tonight are surely in for a self-own when we learn who funded project during GOP primary.”

In January, The New York Times published a story about “a wealthy Republican donor who strongly opposed Mr. Trump” having funded the dossier on Trump, but their sources were all anonymous.

For more on this story, click the "read more" button below.

READ MORE