John Christopher Ludwick, 32, the Florida man who claimed last year that he had helped his friend, Joran van der Sloot, dispose of Natalee Holloway’s body in Aruba in 2005, has been stabbed to death, according to police.

Police said Ludwick was attempting to kidnap a young woman who he knew as she exited her vehicle in a driveway, and she reportedly stabbed him multiple times as she fought back. Lukwick fled on foot, and police took him to the hospital when they found him nearby, but he was pronounced dead.

The New York Post reported:

The incident comes just months after Ludwick appeared in the Oxygen television series “The Disappearance of Natalee Holloway” — in which he claimed to have helped his pal, Joran van der Sloot, dispose of the high schooler’s remains.

“The idea was to crush everything to the point where it wasn’t recognizable as her bones or skull or anything like that,” Ludwick said during the show.

According to him, van der Sloot murdered Holloway on the day of her disappearance in 2005 and then buried the Alabama high school senior on a steep hill in Aruba, where she was vacationing.

He then allegedly paid Ludwick $1,500 to dig up her body in 2010 and have it cremated.

Ludwick later led investigators to the spot where he hid what he said were Holloway’s remains, but DNA testing showed that the bone fragments and samples actually belonged to someone else.

The North Port Police Department posted the following announcement on their Facebook page Wednesday:

UPDATE 2: We have identified 32-year-old John Christopher Ludwick (05/29/1985) of Port Charlotte as the man who died as a result of stab wounds this morning. We are aware of Mr. Ludwick’s history and comments surrounding the disappearance of Natalee Ann Holloway in Aruba during May of 2005. The correct authorities who are working that case have been notified. Our investigation in this local case is ongoing. Currently, there are no reports yet available. We will provide when they are.

UPDATE 1: One person is now deceased. Early in this investigation it appears that the male subject who has passed was attempting to kidnap a young woman as she exited her vehicle in her driveway. They are familiar with each other. A struggle ensued and he is the one who ended up stabbed. He then fled the area on foot. He was found nearby suffering from the stab wounds. After being transported by air he was pronounced dead at a local hospital. This investigation is ongoing. More details as they become available.The roadways are now open. Investigation continues.

EARLIER: NPPD is investigating a reported stabbing which occurred in the 4300 block of Wesley Lane. A secondary crime scene has been established on South Biscayne Drive between Coco Solo Avenue and Herbison Avenue as part of this investigation. South Biscayne Drive has been completely shut down in this area at this time and all traffic is being rerouted. The subjects involved are familiar with each other and everyone is accounted for. There is no threat to the surrounding community. More information when available.