Justin Rey, 35, was arrested in late October after human remains were found inside his Kansas storage unit. The remains were identified by family as those of Rey’s wife, Jessica Monteiro Rey, who died after giving birth days before. New, grisly details have been revealed, warranting additional charges in the case.

Jessica’s body was discovered by Lenexa police, who were responding to reports that a family was living in a U-Haul unit.

Police found Rey, the couple’s toddler, and their 5-day-old baby living in cramped conditions in a U-Haul storage facility. While investigating the situation, officers uncovered human remains in several pieces inside a cooler.

Initially, Rey said his wife died in childbirth but has since given conflicting statements to police. In one, Rey said his wife committed suicide after giving birth.

According to court records, Rey posed for photos with his dead wife and included his children in the macabre tableau. He said his wife’s body stayed in the hotel room with the family for two days. He then dismembered her in the bathtub of a Kansas City hotel room, according to court records, flushing some parts down the toilet because they wouldn’t all fit inside the cooler. The children were present in the hotel room as he completed the grisly task.

One piece of the court record, which is particularly disturbing, indicates that Rey boiled some of Jessica’s remains in a pot on the stove.

When he left the hotel, surveillance video captured Rey and his children walking away, Rey pulling the same cooler in which police would later find his wife’s body.

Rey was arrested on child endangerment charges stemming from the conditions in which the police found his family. On Wednesday, he was also charged with abandonment of a corpse.

Jessica’s family says they want Rey to spend the rest of his life in jail and expressed outrage that the state does not have laws against dismemberment, as is their understanding.

Jessica’s official cause of death has not been determined; however, the family believes Rey did not seek medical attention for his wife, in order to avoid the police, and they feel there should be additional charges. They also report that Rey was violent in the past, leading them to suspect foul play.

Rey’s attorney in the Kansas case, Courtney Henderson, has not returned a phone call from The Associated Press seeking comment. During a court appearance earlier this month, Rey was removed after a screaming rant against authorities, according to KCTV.