Huma Mahmood Abedin (Urdu: هما محمود عابدین) serves as vice chairwoman for Hillary Clinton’s 2016 campaign for President. She also served as Deputy Chief of Staff at the State Department for Hillary, and then served as an assistant for Clinton during her campaign for the Democratic nomination in the 2008 presidential election. Basically, Abedin has been Hillary’s longtime aide, and like her boss, she is engrossed in scandals and is unethically ruthless in her pursuit of assuring Hillary reaches the presidency. Here are five critical facts to know about Abedin.
- Abedin has connections to the Muslim Brotherhood- Right off the bat, Abedin has family ties to the extremist group. In a 2012 letter to the State Department Inspector General, five Republican members of Congress—one of which was Michele Bachmann—addressed concerns about Abedin’s family: “[She] has three family members – her late father, her mother and her brother – connected to Muslim Brotherhood operatives and/or organizations.” They questioned why Abedin had not been disqualified for a security clearance, though their questions were rejected and their charges were denied.
- She has strong ties to the email scandal- In 2015, emails by Abedin became part of the FBI investigation and the controversy concerning Hillary Clinton’s private email account while Secretary of State. It’s been reported Abedin sent various emails between her and Hillary, as well as on Clinton’s behalf, that were not secured on a government server. So far, 1818 emails contain classified information on Hillary’s private server, with 22 being classified as Top Secret.
- “Multiple employments” raised suspicions about Abedin’s access- Since 2012, Abedin has had her fingers in multiple areas of employment, which has raised suspicion regarding her almost unrestrained levels of access. For six months in 2012, Abedin was employed simultaneously in four different fields: the State Department, the Clinton Foundation, Hillary’s personal office, and a private consulting firm with ties to the Clintons. A 2016 subpoena of Hillary’s foundation aimed focus at Abedin’s unrestricted involvement in her government services and her outside work intermingling.
- The Muslim Wife of Anthony Weiner- Like her employer Hillary, Abedin’s husband is also a bit of a cheater and is romantically unfaithful. Weiner was the center of a sexting scandal which led to his resignation from Congress in 2011. And, like Hillary, Abedin chose to remain by Weiner’s side despite his infidelity: “I love him, I have forgiven him, I believe in him.” Abedin is of Indian and Pakistani descent, and practices the Muslim faith while also being fluent in Arabic.
- “If I had a Second Daughter, it would be Huma”- Abedin sees Hillary as a mother figure and mentor. While it’s odd to classify a personal assistant to your every scheming whim as your own child, Hillary shares the mother-daughter sentiment. In 2010, at Abedin’s wedding to Weiner, Clinton said: “I have one daughter. But if I had a second daughter, it would be Huma.” During a trip that Clinton and Abedin made to Saudi Arabia, Abedin’s mother, Saleha Mahmood Abedin, said to Clinton: “Hillary, you have spent more time with my daughter than I have in the past 15 years. I’m jealous of you!”